If your account is in good standing, and if for some reason you wish to put your mobile device on another network, you can unlock your device from the Bell network at no charge. The information below explains eligibility requirements and how to complete the unlock process online.
Each of the following requirements must be met:
- Your device must be currently locked to the Bell mobile network.
- Your device must not be reported as lost or stolen.
- Your device must be HSPA/LTE network compatible.
- Your Bell account must be in good standing.
What you’ll need
To unlock your device, you’ll need to have the following on hand:
- The Bell device you wish to unlock
- The device’s IMEI number (for how to find it, see instructions below)
- An unlock code from Bell (for how to get it, see instructions below)
- A non-Bell SIM card that fits the device
What is HSPA or HSPA+ (4G), LTE or LTE+?
Mobile network technology is constantly being improved, primarily to let you send and receive data faster.
HSPA (High Speed Packet Access) is a mobile telephony technology that allows for data transmission speeds up to 21 Mbps. HSPA+ (also called Evolved HSPA or 4G) is a further evolution of HSPA that offers data speeds of up to 42 Mbps.
You’ll appreciate the speed if you use the Internet or applications like picture and video messaging on your mobile phone or smartphone.
The HSPA+ (4G) network allows you to bring some mobile phones and smartphones to the Bell network.
LTE, or long-term evolution, is the gold standard in wireless communication. Everything you do on the Bell LTE network, from watching videos to running business applications, will be faster and better.
LTE+ or LTE Advanced is an evolution of LTE, and is the fastest and most advanced mobile technology in the world. LTE Advanced provides a turbo boost for data-intensive activities so that you can have faster download speeds and less buffering.
How to find your IMEI number?
The IMEI is a unique number assigned to your device. To locate it:
- Phones: dial *#06# to get the number on your screen.
- Apple iPads: go to Settings > General > About.
- Android tablets: go to Applications > Settings > About tablet > Status.
How to obtain an unlock code from Bell ?
Once you have your IMEI number, you can obtain an unlock code by following a few simple steps in MyBell or by contacting bell support to speak to a customer service representative. After completing the unlock code request, you will receive a confirmation email from Bell. There is no fee to unlock your Bell device.
To obtain an unlock code in MyBell:
- Go to the MyBell unlock device page.
- Enter your IMEI number.
- Follow the instructions to receive the unlock code.
What to do once you have an unlock code ?
Select your device manufacturer from the list below for simple instructions to complete the unlocking on your device.
Some devices display a confirmation message once the unlocking is complete, while some do not. If your device has been unlocked successfully, it will work with a SIM card from another provider.
Src: Bell Canada