Voice-Over Internet Protocol even termed as VOIP, Internet telephony is the steering of call conversations through the IP-related network or other Internet. Companies, which provide VOIP services, are called providers and protocols or certain rules are used to execute the voice signals is called VOIP protocols or Voice over IP. This can be viewed as commercial achievements or exploitation from Network Voice Protocol designed for the ARPANET providers.
The steady and increased use of Internet usage has resulted in immune prospective for “VOIP service providers”. VOIP is directed to transmit voice in data form or information through the Internet to increase the efficiency and reduce call costs. The equipments required for transmitting the voice over Internet is also not too high, so it contributes in making VOIP being the most reasonable telephony service. Another important aspect of VOIP is the mobility by which you can stay coherent with the world through the Internet.
But, all that is needed is a PC or a VOIP phone. VOIP may provide you with two types of services – Free or paid services. The Free services are usually availed when you are calling friends, family or other relatives. The paid services are used in case of business uses. VOIP providers are omnipresent in plenty that makes the market for VOIP providers much more competitive.
So, for the regular user, it becomes hard to choose the best provider. For that you need to analyze your needs or your business requirements. For invigilating the service, you can question providers for the “Average call duration”, “average success ratio” & “post duration delay” of the relevant call. The higher is the previous 2, & lower the latter one; it’s the best for the standard of the service.
The different functions of VOIP Are:
- Transmission of more than one telephone call down the same broadband connected telephone line.
- VOIP is location independent; it just needs an Internet connection to the service provider.
- VOIP services can integrate and work with other services working over the Internet like video conversation, data file exchange, audio conference etc.
- It is very reliable as well. VOIP hardware uses broadband modems and equipment powered services by household electricity that can be useful as outages in the absence of a generator.
- As a single network is used, thus, the cost is a bit lower and they are used to carry voice and data. This can work more effectively when users have a spare or unutilized existing network capacity. So that network carries the VOIP at no separate cost and hence saves money overall.
- VOIP to VOIP calls may be free but VOIP to public-switched telephone networks will cost you money but still VOIP is the cheapest and most efficient telephony service.
Some Challenges faced by VOIP Are:
- Sending fax is still a problem with VOIP. The support of sending fax over VOPI is still a bit short of options.
- Delay/ Network Latency
- Packet Loss