This post describes how to appear offline on Facebook when using a PC, iOS or Android, Apps and Facebook Messenger . This allows you to browse without knowing that others are around you. Steps include Facebook on the desktop and the Facebook messenger apps for iOS and Android.
Facebook may be responsible for putting the word “social” on social media, but sometimes you don’t want to interact with your friends or don’t have the time. If you log into Facebook and don’t worry about your friends looking at you and trying to chat, you can easily change your “Active Status” to see it offline.
There are four or more places you can check your active status. If you are browsing, you will find both Messenger and Chat on your Facebook web page, as well as the Facebook and Facebook Messenger mobile apps.
How to Appear Offline on Facebook in a Web Browser
Unfortunately, Facebook continues to treat Facebook Messenger and Facebook Chat as different elements of a web browser, even if all conversations end in the same window. You may not notice that Facebook offers two different instant messaging features on the web.
The differences are as follows: Click the Messenger link on the left side of the Facebook page to open Facebook Messenger. However, if you text someone from a popup that appears in your Facebook news feed, it will be a Facebook chat. You need to set focus for these two items.
- Go to Facebook.com and LogIn Facebook Account
- Select the messenger icon.
- Select an option (3 points).
- Select Disable Active State.
- If you don’t want to be bothered by anyone, select Disable focus for all contacts.
- Select Turn off focus for all contacts unless you want to be bothered by most people but want to make it available to a limited number of people. You can specify the friends who can check your online status.
- Select Disable focus for a particular contact only if only a few people want to stay in secret mode.
- After making your selection, select OK. The focus stays off until you turn it back on.
How to View Offline on Facebook Messenger App
It also turns focus off directly from the Messenger app for iOS or Android.
- On the Chat tab, select your profile picture.
- Tap Active Status.
- Turn off the focus and tap Turn off to confirm.
Note: You can still send a message or join a conversation you’ve already had, even after turning focus off.
Also Read: How to Add Hashtags on Facebook?
How to appear offline on Facebook using your iOS device
On iOS devices, you can easily turn off focus.
- Open the Facebook app and tap the menu (3 lines) in the lower right corner.
- Scroll down and tap Settings and privacy.
- Tap Settings.
- Scroll down to the Privacy section and tap Active Status.
- Tap the button next to the display when it is active to turn it off.
- Tap Deactivate to confirm.
How to appear offline on Facebook using your Android
If you’re using the Facebook app for Android, here’s how to turn off the focus:
- Start Facebook on your Android device and press the menu (3 lines).
- Tap Settings and privacy> Settings.
- Tap Active status and turn off appear when active.