How many Microsoft Word documents have you seen in Arial, Calibri or Times New Roman? I think it’s too much to count. Unfortunately, most users never exceed the default format when creating a Word document.
This is disappointing, as there’s actually a wide variety of fonts to choose from depending on the style of the document you’re creating.
If you have a font that you use regularly, having to change it every time is a tall order. Fortunately, you can change Word’s default font. This allows you to use the same font in all new Microsoft Word documents you create.
If you want to change the default font in Word, you need to do the following:
Change the Default Microsoft Word Font
To change the default font, you need to open a Word document and access the Font dialog box. There are two ways to do this.
How to Set Default Font in Word in Word
- To get started, open your document, right-click on the body of the text (regardless of position) and hit the Font option.
- You can also click the start button of the Font dialog box. To do this, select the Home tab on the ribbon and click on the small arrow icon in the lower right corner of the Font section.
- When the dialog opens, you can select the font you want to use. In addition to changing the font itself, you can also change the style, size and color of the text.
- After making your changes, click the Set Defaults button. This will set the selected font as the default font for all future documents.
- Select All documents based on the Normal template.
- Click OK to confirm your selection. Once confirmed, the selected font will appear as the new default font for new documents.
How to change the default font in Word 2003
- If the document is not open, it creates a new document based on the standard template. To do this, click New on the File menu, and then click Blank Document in the New Document task pane.
- On the Format menu, click Font.
- Select the font, point size and attributes to include.
- Click on “Default“.
- Click Yes when the following message is displayed: Do you want to replace the default font with the font name?
- This change affects all new documents based on the NORMAL model.
- In the File menu, hold down the Shift key and click Save All.
How to set default font in word 2007
- Create a new document based on the Normal template. To do this, click the Microsoft Office Button, click New in the New Document task pane, click Blank Document, and then click Create.
- In the Font group, click Font.
- In the Font dialog box, select the required font, point size, and attributes.
- Click on Default.
- Click Yes when you see the “Do you want to replace the default font with the font name?” Message. This change affects all new documents based on the NORMAL model.
- Click OK.
- Click the Microsoft Office Button, then click Word Options.
- On the Customize tab, select Non-Ribbon Commands from the list, then select Save All.
- Click Add> OK> Save All on the custom Quick Access Toolbar. Click Cancel when prompted to save the open document.
How to change the default font in Word 2010
- Create a new document based on the Normal template. To do this, click File> New> Blank Document> Create.
- In the Font group, click the Font drop-down icon.
- Select options that apply to the default font, such as font style and size. If you select specific text, the properties of the selected text are set in the dialog box.
- Click Set as Default.
- Select a template All documents based on the Normal.dotm template?
- Select an option and click OK.
How to change the default font in Word for Office 365
- Open word.
- Select the Home tab.
- Click the font button.
- Click the Font drop-down menu and select a font.
- Click Set as Default.
- Select the All Documents option based on the Normal.dotm option and click OK.
For more information on changing the default font in Word for Office 365, including photos from these steps, continue with the articles below.
Please note that if you are using Word Online, you cannot change the default font. You can change the font of the current document, but the next time you create a new blank document, the font will automatically be set to Calibri.